Sunday, 16 October 2016

A new post about a new album!!!

I felt that I didn't know where to start as it's been so very long since my last posting here. So much has happened, it's actually quite unreal. But, happened things have.

I shall start with something I'm a little excited about. In spite of moving twice in two months, losing my studio and my job and then getting another one (studio and job!!!), I've managed to reach a point where I can say that I am hours away from completing the classical album project. Yes, "Interpretations" is all but done - the mixes and art work are just about finished with only a few minor details on both elements to finalise, the product of 5 years work and I'm quite proud of it. "Interpretations" is a massive exercise in self-indulgence as it comprises 16 pieces of some of my favourite pieces of classical music. Here's the track listing (not in order - still working on that!!!):

"Crown Imperial - Walton"
"Dambusters - Coates"
"Danse Macabre - Saint-Saens"
"Dolly - Faure"
"Gymnopedie - Satie"
"Holiday for Strings - Rose"
"Masquerade - Khachaturian"
"Meditation - Massenet"
"On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring - Delius"
"Praeludium - Grieg"
"Reverie - Debussy"
"Sorcerer's Apprentice - Dukas"
"Toccata - Widor"
"Venus - Holst"
"Waltz2 - Shostakovich"
"Waltz of the Flowers - Tchaikovsky"

And here's how the cover will look:


I decided to go along the download route and so will be releasing "Interpretations" on my Bandcamp page. Sadly, CD manufacturing costs are too prohibitive for me at this time. I seriously contemplated a kick-starter campaign, but, whilst the idea is sound, it would have taken too long and I wasn't confident enough that I could raise the required amount. However, it will be released and to me, that is the most important thing.

When you're close to something being completed and released, it's a cool time as you are filled with so many thoughts and emotions - does it sound okay? And will people like it? Or even, will it sell? Who will listen to it? You get the drift. It's akin to that time when your children take their first steps, utter their first words or even when they fly the nest. A lot of time and emotion goes into producing a body of artistic work, you have an almost parental love of it, hoping it's future is good and that it finds acceptance. My fingers are certainly crossed that it's liked.

I have a new studio in our new home, it's imaginatively called the GTK2 Studio and is considerably smaller than my previous one, but it's perfect for my needs now that I am entirely software-based. I've expanded the software collection somewhat over the last few months - those pesky Waves Audio peeps keep having silly sales that make me buy their gubbings!!! I've got some new synths and a number of effects programs, so am now pretty well stocked up. There are still a few bits and pieces that I would like to get, but all in good time.

Once "Interpretations" is released, I will be getting to work on the next F/R-F album with my son, Callum Raeburn-Fellowes. It was originally going to he his own solo album, but his life is rather full so we agreed that we would turn it into an F/R-F project. He's done the writing, I'll be arranging and adding bits as well as producing it. It'll be called "Autumn's Breeze" and will be ready when it's finished (lolz). It'll be a very ambient affair, bordering on New Age - quite a contrast to our first offering, "Structures of Paradise". The music came about as a result of Callum experimenting with software synthesizers, notably Spectrasonics' lovely Omnisphere. It's a surprising move considering Callum's heavy metal background, but I'm quite excited at the prospect of adding to and producing an already interesting and cool body of work from such a young mind.

Right, that'll do for now, my bed is-a-calling :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)