Tuesday, 11 March 2014

GTK Studio Movements!!!

A few bits and bobs have found their way into the GTK Studio recently, but these are more of what I would term as ancillary items.

Whilst I have a very good Internet connection in the studio, the wireless bit was severely lacking, so as a matter of priority, I felt that I needed to sort that out. The problem is that we have very thick and quite dense walls chez nous, and even with a 300mbps wireless router in our end bedroom, there was still something of a "black hole". The answer was a second wireless router placed within the GTK Studio. We found the TP Link WR841N router to be pretty effective in our end bedroom, so we decided to go for a second one. The upshot is that we now have full wireless coverage throughout our little nest, that works beautifully with our Hudl tablets, laptops and smartphones. 


打印



Another important addition has been a DJ-style laptop stand. I bought this to use with the Novation ReMOTE ZeRO SL MIDI controller because I wanted more room on my desktop area. So the laptop stand has been put on the keyboard stand, with the Novation now positioned above the Roland SH-201 synthesiser. I have to say that it is now more usable as it is more in reach. I've added a couple of bits of new software to the GTK Studio computer.



WP_20140311_004[1]




First up is a piece of programming I have been itching to get my hot and sweaty paws on for quite some time: Celemony's Melodyne. Melodyne is one of those truly awesome bits of software that make you shudder and say "wow!!!" every single time you use it. One of my musical heroes Midge Ure did a small video about it not so long back (I posted it on this here blog right HERE) It's principle purpose is that of pitch correction, but in my view, that really doesn't do it justice. I'm using the entry level version of Celemony's Melodyne which is called Melodyne Essential, and this edition gives you an extremely cost-effective introduction to the wonderful world of pitch and time correction. Melodyne Essential allows you to correct and manipulate the pitch and timing of monophonic tracks such as vocals, bass guitar or rhythm tracks. It has an excellent user interface that I have found to be both intuitive and logical. In turn, this makes editing both quick and simple without a massive learning curve or the sound quality compromised. WP_20140311_001[1]



Also in the fray are a couple of freebie VST's from software house SonicXTC that caught my eyes, ears and imagination. First is Ring Modulator 101 - no prizes for guessing what this one is :-) This little software unit is a re-creation of of a classic effects chain that combines a dual channel tube amp, a 2-pole ladder filter, a chorus/flanger pedal and yep, you guessed it, a vintage ring modulator. As the guys from SonicXTC state, ring mods aren't just for old fashioned sci-fi sounds (think dalek voices), but hugely useful for adding edge and a touch of grit to drum machines and synths. Also from SonicXTC is the rather lovely Fusion Delay. It's difficult to properly explain what exactly it does, but what it does do is create an interesting delay effect that just gives the sound that little bit of something else. In part, it could have something to do with it acting as a kind of spectral delay where the sound is broken down into it's component frequencies and the effect applied to those frequencies, but I fear that would not be doing the thing justice. Take it from me that it sounds great. 



ring-modulator-101  fusion_delay


I've been wanting to get into sequencing using a dedicated sequencer, such as the Moog sequencers used by Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulz et al, but in a software form - I really am running out of space here!!! And I found a really cool one from a German developer called Wolfgang Krumme who releases his wares under the guise of WOK. It's called CLOCKWOrK and it is just the ticket for me at this moment in time. It can do the usual pitch and ratchet effects a la TD that we all know and love so well, but it can also sequence various synthesizer parameters such as the filter cutoff, enevelope amount and resonance etc. This adds a nice, almost rhythmic element to a sequence and gives an extra dimension to the overall sound. It can also be used to sequence external hardware synths as well, so it can be seen as something of an all-rounder, in it's basic form. As I said earlier, at this time, more than good enough for me and it will be a great learning tool for using a dedicated sequencer, particularly for live stuff. I shall be looking to see how easy it will be to have CLOCKWOrK and the Hudl sequencers running side-by-side - but that's for another day ;-)
wok-clockwork
Back in August of last year, I bought a fab little VSTi synth called Scanned Synth Pro, made by Humanoid Sound Systems and I wrote a little blog entry about it – you can find that HERE. It’s a great piece of programming and I am using a lot for dirty leads and generally weirded out sounds. Anyway, HSS have recently released a new soft-synth that goes by the name of Enzyme and since hearing a few of the demos of it on the HSS website, I had been looking forward to getting it and was planning to do just that this month. However, I went to my Facebook a few weeks back and lo and behold, there was a rather lovely (and completely unexpected) surprise in the form of finding a complimentary download link for Enzyme in my Facebook messages!!! So, I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Efrain Becerra for that. It’s a killer synth and one that really represents what electronic music was always about – new sounds. For me, Enzyme seems to be everything that was good about Scanned Synth Pro plus loads of extras, not least the ability to import your own samples. I cannot tell you how gratifying it’s been to load the most mundane of sounds into Enzyme and then mangle the living bejesus out of it. You can do the bog standard leads, basses and pads if you really must, but this little floozy demands to be experimented with, and that’s what she does best. I have to be honest, I really don’t quite yet fully understand how things work in Enzyme, but that matters not one jot because that is what encourages the experimentation – “turn that, press that, slide that, oh my god, how did that happen???!!!” - you get my drift. When have buttons called “Psycho” and “Danger”, how the hell can you go wrong!!! It lots of controls, some familiar, some not, but a great array of options presented on a very clear and futuristic GUI that appealed to my eyes from day one, a fab little Connection Matrix and a lovely setting called Osc Freq that lets you do some seriously fetishixtic stuff to your sound. If you like radiophonic and such-like, get this little baby now, and see for yourself how she can corrupt the sweetest sounds. my kinda woman Winking smile

hss_enzyme
As reported in a previous post, I now have a Tesco Hudl tablet computer thingy. It's bloody marvellous and I love it. It may or may not be of interest to you to know that I wrote this here blog entry that you are reading using the Hudl. Fabulous little thing. Anyway, being an Android based unit means that there's stacks of apps available for it and I have found some seriously cool music apps that are going to be incredibly useful, not just for the GTK Studio, but I am hoping also for live stuff as I have found MIDI sequencers that claim to trigger hardware synthesisers. This for me is massive and a very exciting prospect, one that I shall be investigating in the very near future. I also found some really cool generative music apps that captured my imagination and I had a little fun earlier setting one of them off and then playing along with it using the hardware synths. I did something similar last year when my son, Callum and I performed at the Awakenings event where we used an iPhone loaded with the Brian Eno apps Bloom and Air. If I ever get the studio version of that performance completed, you'll hear that section as I used a live recording of it mixed into the track.
WP_20140311_002[1]
It's been fun gathering all this stuff together to populate my little studio, it's taken thus far just over the last 3 years, but I think that perhaps I should maybe start making music again, rather than just keep talking about it, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)