Sunday, 16 December 2012

Mega new addition to the GTK Studio

Well it looks like I've struck lucky again via good old evilBay.

Today, I won an auction for a Peavey SRC 2400 24-channel mixing console, you can see a picture of the actual desk to the right here. Tomorrow morning, I must travel over to the Northamptonshire town of Daventry to collect it, so as you can imagine, I'm kind of quite excited as I've got it far sooner than I expected.

The SRC 2400 has enjoyed good reviews in it's 20-odd year history and apparently it's not unusual to still see them in use in many studios today. It's not full of the fancy features that you see on today's consoles, but that's not what I want it for. With 24 channels, 6 auxillary sends, fully flight-cased and some of the best mic pre-amps going, it will make the GTK Studio fully operational as all my hardware synthesizers and effects units can be connected and fed through to the computer.

It's a bit of beast in terms of it's size, so it will be necessary for me to temporarily put a stop to all music and photography, because I will need to completely gut out the studio and re-build it with the mixing console and the hardware fully integrated with the computer gear. I can't wait as it's a great challenge and will ultimately lead to me having a proper full-blown operational studio that will enable me to use all my hardware as well as enable friends and guests to plug into the system without a need to disconnect stuff to accomodate them.

At this stage, I have no need or intention to sell my little Mackie 1202 micro-mixer as it has been and will continue to be a veritable workhorse. Because my Lexicon audio interface has multiple inputs, it means that I can input the new console direct to the computer.

So, I'm now sitting back looking at this little room and figuring out exactly how it's all going to be done. I'll get some pics up when I start work on it of course. I know I've said this before, but this is it for now, equipment-wise - mainly because my little Nissan Micra needs some attention ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil!

    Congrats to your SRC 2400 Console it'a a great console indeed.
    I also bought mine at an auction and i still use it for my productions.
    I've had it for about 3 years now and it's one of my best deals ever.
    About 80 dollars including flight case and gooseneck lanp.

    -Keep it sounding!

    Michael DeVille

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)