Friday, 9 November 2012

It was too good to resist......

Okay, so in a previous post I said that I was done with the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for now.

Okay, so maybe that wasn't strictly true.

BUT......when I wrote it, I meant it.

Anyway.

Courtesy of my good friend David Wright, I now possess an Alesis QS6 synthesizer. The fun has been deciding where to put it in the GTK Studio, but I think it have found the best place for it on the workbench atop The Rack.

I've spent the last few hours just playing with the 500 odd presets and I have to say that I am very impressed with the QS6. I have missed my Roland JV-2080 as it had some great pianos and strings, but the QS6 has perfectly filled that void and now provides me with some seriously strong synth sounds as well. This has been an excellent acquisition, so expect to hear it on many of my future recordings.
I've been using one of my Evolution MIDI keyboard controllers as the master keyboard for the synths in The Rack. I've now swapped the Evolution with the QS6 because the latter has an easier way of changing MIDI channels and of course, it has after-touch which is a must.

I now need a new mixing desk and after Christmas, I'll be after a 24 channel desk. Getting that in the GTK Studio should be very interesting, but I'll do it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)