Friday, 24 August 2012

Another GTK Studio Addition

I had something of a pleasant surprise a couple of days ago when a good friend of mine gave me a 1970's Phillips 4308 reel-to-reel tape recorder.

He told me that the heads were fine but playback was not so good and that maybe it was a drive belt issue. And when I got it home and took the back off, it was indeed a drive belt issue - it had come off completely and had perished, leaving a thick black sticky trail across the innards of the machine. But that's not a problem, a quick shout out on Facebook asking for advice soon yielded the answers I wanted and so in the next few days I shall be purloining some of the suggested alcohol-based cleaning fluid and prepping the Phillips ready for a new drive belt in the next couple of weeks.

I checked the heads out and as my friend quite rightly said, they are fine.

So, some nice tape driven analogue warmth has now come into the GTK Studio and I'm quite excited at the prospect of this recorder joining the other bits and pieces.

As an end note to this posting, a Revox reel-to-reel is also on the horizon - watch this space ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)