Monday, 27 February 2012

Barry Gray

Whilst preparing for the third Geigertek album, "Soundtrack For City Living", I was listening to a lot of John Barry scores and I think this very much came through in the album, particularly the track "Devil may Care" and a lot of the string arrangements throughout.

I'm now in the process of writing music for the fourth Geigertek album (which, if you've been following this blog, you will know is to be called "Hollow Sun") and the process is being influenced another T.V./film score writer - Barry Gray.

Barry Gray was an English musician and composer, best known for his work for Gerry Anderson. He was born on the 18th July 1908 in Lancashire and died on the 26th April 1984 on the island of Guernsey.

There's some really cool information about Barry Gray on Wikipedia which you can find HERE

Along with John Barry, I have always admired the music of Barry Gray, amongst many others, he wrote such wonders as the 60's soaked theme from "Joe 90", "U.F.O." (with the fabulously organic lead played by another of my musical heroes, Harry Stoneham, who, incidentally, wrote the theme to the Michael Parkinson chat shows), the almost militaristic pomp of "Thunderbirds" and the very filmic and uber disco tones of the theme from "Space: 1999".


I'm loving the over-the-top orchestrations with the contrasting woodwind/string interludes and I suspect this style may find it's way into aspects of "Hollow Sun" as the album's underlying theme is a bit sci-fi ;-)


Check out some of the YouTube sequences below to sample the delights of Barry Gray and I hope you feel the wonder and magic of his unique and instantly recognisable style.




1 comment:

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)