Saturday, 22 October 2011

New format for my radio show

I do a weekly one hour ambient/chill-out radio show for an Internet radio station called One World Radio who are based on the South coast of England. I started this three months ago and played only music from the catalogue of AD Music.

Well, I thought it was time for the show to expand it's music horizons a little and so I put together a new format. One World Radio is very much a spiritual/holistic style of station and naturally, there are a number of ambient music shows on it's weekly listings. I contacted the station manager, a very decent fellow called Steve Sheppard and outlined my revised format to him - he was up for it in a big way.

The new format of the show will focus on electronic music in all it's forms, past and present, with music from everyone from the top acts to the unsigned enthusiast making music in the spare room. There will be a regular feature called the "10 Minute Spotlight" which I started in the first format and proved to be quite popular. Simply put, I spend 10 minutes of the show talking about a particular artist/group with their music playing in the background for the first 5 minutes and then play a full 5 minutes of a chosen track. I'll also be starting a new regular feature called "Nobody Does It Cheddar". Let's face it, there were some seriously dodgy "Moog Synthesizer" albums released in the late 1960's and throughout the 1970's (as well as some quite brilliant ones of course) and this is what "Nobody Does It Cheddar" is all about - cheesey synth stuff from long ago, and trust me, I have some crackers.

I'm trying to rally electronic artists from all over the shop to join in and one vehicle for this has been the setting up of a "Man of 2 Worlds Radio Show" Facebook page. I've already had a good response and my hope is that this will translate into listeners.

Electronic music in the U.K. is poorly supported, and I feel that it is in some part due to the fact that people simply aren't aware of what it entails. It isn't about a bunch of bearded Germans tossing off on massive Moog Modular synths and it isn't about the likes of Little Boots and La Roux (both of whom I quite like actually). No, electronic music is very much an umbrella term for a number of sub-genres (on yeah, and please note I don't like music being pidgeon holed) which includes ambient, chill-out, Berlin School, electronica, etc etc. I want to try and bring a flavour of it all to those that choose to listen. Whilst I hope the show will have a certain light-hearted and potentially chaotic flavour, I also want people to be able to learn what electronic music is all about. Some of it people will love, some of it people will hate, some it will baffle you and some of it will move you. I want to introduce listeners to names like Morton Subotnik, Isao Tomita and hundreds of other lesser known musicians, to see that experimental can be as satisfying and as intense as Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre - the good news is, it isn't all about TD and J-MJ!!!

So, Sunday 23rd October 2011 sees the new format up and running - let's hope people like it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)