Thursday, 11 August 2011

"Soundtrack For City Living" Update

All spare time being devoted to getting "Soundtrack" finished this week. After some uncertainty about vocalists, finally managed to find a great female singer called Candice Wells who has done the vocal for "Devil May Care" - fantastic voice and great resonance which has made the track really come forward. I've mixed in the excellent guitar work done by Code Indigo's Nigel Turner-Heffer (recorded a couple of weeks ago)  which sounds wonderful, giving the piece that certain lustre for a real "007/John Barry" feel.

The cover of "Underpass" is close to completion. After a bit of back and forth, I took the decision to do the lead vocal myself, with Candice and my partner Anne Mancini-Smith, taking the backing vocals - they've done a great job and this track is sounding great, even though I say it myself.

I have some work to attend to this lunchtime, but this afternoon I will focusing on a track called "Forgotten Splendour". Much in keeping with the rest of the album, this track has an almost dischordant piano intro with some lovely lush strings before melting into a few minutes of synth solos and string sections sitting atop a myriad of rhythms and sequences.

I'm waiting for the green light to use some photographs of Tokyo which, if I get the appropriate permissions, will be a part of the inner sleeve artwork. Over the course of the next couple of days, I'll be sorting out some self-portraits for the album - one idea is to set myself up at an old Selmer Pianotron (more about that soon) that I was recently given, in amongst large framed photos of cityscapes - all in black and white of course :-)


So, need to go and get ready for work. Back soon :-)

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)