Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Freegle does it again!!!

I reported a while back that I managed to source a computer through a website called Freegle. Freegle is a part of the Yahoo Groups and as I understand it, most areas of the country have a Freegle. It's basic premise is for people to advertise items that they might be on the verge of throwing out or dumping and can be anything from a can of pet food to a car. The idea is based around the notion of recyling - I guess the old adage of "one man's rubbish is another man's treasure".

Well Freegle has come up trumps for me again. My Urban Exploration and photography have reached a point now where I need to plan things a little differently and also move a little further afield, plus my daughter has taken up photography as a hobby and wants to do landscape and nature pictures, all this bringing forth the need to start camping out (horrors). This requires cash to get started and that's certainly something that has been in short supply of late, so I turned to Freegle to see if anyone had any camping gear they no longer required, and low and behold, they did. Through a couple of request adverts I placed, I now have a decent two-man tent, a decent camping stove with loads of extras, two airbeds and sleeping bags. And not a penny spent. Can't be bad.

The airbeds were still in their box, unused. The sleeping bag only needed a run through the washing machine and is now like new and smelling just great. The stove is Trangia 27 which has hardly been used, has attachments for a gas canister plus pots, pans and a kettle. The tent is in excellent condition with no damage at all - the gentleman from whom it came had obviously maintained it.

So, now all that needs to be done is practice putting the tent up and carrying out a couple of test runs in the garden. My daughter is pleased as this is something she has been wanting to do for a while now, and I have to confess that I have been a little reticent - strictly speaking, me and the word "camping" (as in "tents") don't usually go in the same sentence. People who know me are dining out on the hilarious notion of my engaging in sleeping under canvas. But, these things have to be tried out, and thanks to Freegle, I can try it out and if it isn't for me, it hasn't cost me anything.

How good is that?

1 comment:

  1. I love camping-Chris and I go as often as we can to various locations in the south of England.
    I miss living on my old farm in rural Scotland so its nice to get back to nature and spend quality time outdoors,whatever the weather!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, but keep it constructive and observe the fact that I am quite skilled with the "Delete" button and will use it without losing an ounce of sleep. Also note that I have deployed Adsense, so please do not presume to post links or banners to promote/advertise your business/company - contact me first so that we can discuss a fee that you really won't want to pay, but I would have no qualms in receiving. Any such links/banners will be deleted with no explanation and no feelings of guilt or remorse on my part ;-)